Hello Junior Naturalist Friends!
Please join us on the following three Saturday mornings 10am-12pm for our Winter 2022 TFN Juniors’ Program!
- January 15th: We will meet at Tommy Thompson Park for a hike and Treasure hunts on the Spit. The goal is to reach the ‘Red Bridge’ — a lengthy walk, but folks can turn back whenever they need to. Please bring sleds to pull young ones, and dress warmly. We are also recommending people bring a lunch and thermos of hot chocolate. Our treasure hunts will uncover native grasses, field & marsh plants in winter, as well as animal tracks and traces.
There have been sightings of Snowy Owls this year.
- February 12th: Be part of a wonderful inter-active zoom event with Ken Vogan ‘Who Gives a Hoot’ about owls. The webinar will teach us how to recognize owl sounds and discover how owls are adapted to hunt and eat. It also includes some hints on how to look for owls in our own area and what to do if you find one.
- Ken did an excellent presentation on Bird language during the pandemic and we are very excited to welcome him back!
- Following Ken, Siena will lead us in a presentation on drawing owls.
- March 19th: We will meet at the Humber Arboretum, on the banks of the Humber River. We hope to talk with an indigenous leader about how Native people survived the winter and especially this late winter period.
RSVP to Anne Purvis at Juniortfn@torontofieldnaturalists.org
Here are some recent photos from one of our junior members, Sonia.