On Friday, October 30, the provincial Ministry of Housing and Municipal Affairs announced a Minister’s Zoning Order (MZO) fast-tracking a warehouse development proposal that would essentially pave over part of the Lower Duffins Creek Wetland Complex, bringing significant damage and destruction to this provincially significant habitat.
While the board of the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (TRCA) recently passed a motion criticizing efforts to develop these wetlands, a previous TRCA staff report did outline the potential for “ecosystem compensation”, cash-in-lieu payment that would allow development to proceed. To protect these vital wetlands it is critical that citizens voice their objections immediately.
- Email MPPs Bethlenfalvy and Phillips and the TRCA via Environmental Defense
- Email Ministers & MPPs via Wilderness Committee
- Help Ontario Nature Curtail the misuse of Minister’s Zoning Orders
- Add your comments to The Town of Ajax’s YouTube video
- Voice your objections on social media using #SaveDontPave